Stage 2 | Subject Outline | Versions control
Accredited in June 2017 for teaching at Stage 2 from 2019.
Stage 2 | Subject outline | External assessment | Assessment Type 3: Examination
Assessment Type 3: Examination (30%)
Students complete a 130‑minute examination in which they apply their knowledge and understanding of musical elements and their musicianship skills in creative and innovative ways, to:
- deconstruct, analyse, and interpret musical works
- manipulate musical elements
- synthesise and express musical literacy and musical ideas.
To enable students to focus on the application of their learning, a sheet with standard chord progressions and key signatures will be provided.
Questions may include, for example:
- notating part of a melody
- completing a given melody using appropriate conventions
- decoding aural rhythms and pitch
- adding extensions to core harmonies
- explaining harmonic structures and stylistic features (e.g. baroque, swing)
- harmonising part of a melody
- extending a melody in a new direction
- analysing and comparing two unfamiliar works (similarities, differences, viewpoints on elements).
The following specific features of the assessment design criteria for this subject are assessed in the examination:
- understanding music — UM2
- creating music — CM1, CM3, CM4
- responding to music — RM1, RM2.