Stage 2 | Subject outline | version control
Design, Technology and Engineering
For teaching in 2022. Accredited in November 2018 for teaching at Stage 2 from 2020. This subject replaced Design and Technology. See subject changes.
Stage 2 | Subject outline | Content | Solution realisation
This component (stage) of the design and realisation process involves realising a solution. A solution is the outcome of applying technological skills in order to meet the requirements of a design and realisation brief.
In this subject, a ‘solution’ is an outcome of the design and realisation process in relation to the chosen context. A solution may be fully realised or a model, prototype, system, part, process (i.e. procedures to output a product), or product.
Possible solution realisation strategies or techniques may include:
- producing a solution that is captured in multimodal form (e.g. photo story or short film)
- using appropriate processes and production techniques
- creating solutions that meet the planned design specifications
- developing skills and applying them to a range of applications
- creating an annotated multimodal product record of the creation of the product
- developing solutions to technical and engineering problems that may arise during realisation, such as accuracy of machinery, quality of materials and components, and understanding of software programs
- applying appropriate safety processes in physical and online environments.