Stage 1 | Subject outline | Version control
Accredited in May 2016 for teaching at Stage 1 from 2017.
Stage 1 | Subject outline | Content
Geography is a 10-credit or a 20-credit subject at Stage 1.
For both a 10-credit subject and a 20-credit subject, teachers design a program that:
- develops students’ understanding and application of key geographical concepts
- develops students’ understanding of the interdependence of human and physical environments
- explores contemporary geographical issues
- develops students’ skills in fieldwork using opportunities in the local area
- examines geographical features, concepts, and issues through the use of a range of skills and techniques, including spatial technologies.
The design of a teaching and learning program should take into account the content provided for each topic, and integrate opportunities for students to carry out fieldwork and develop geographical skills.
The following pages discuss geographical skills and the topics.