Frequently asked questions

How old do I have to be before I can apply for recognition of community learning?

There is no specified age. Generally young people will be enrolled in the SACE and be in Year 10, Year 11, or Year 12.

Do I have to be enrolled at a school?

No. If you have left school, you can enrol at the SACE Board.

If I finished school last year, can I still get recognition for my community learning?

Yes. You can apply at any time before you complete your SACE.

Which part of the SACE does community learning fit into?

Students can count up to 90 credits of community learning at Stage 1 and/or Stage 2 towards the completion requirements of the SACE.

Recognition of community learning is not granted against:

  • the Personal Learning Plan (at Stage 1)
  • the literacy and numeracy requirements
  • the Research Project (at Stage 2)
  • or the requirement for 60 credits at a C– grade or better at Stage 2.

Is community learning different to Community Studies?

It depends on how you do it. You can either use your community learning activity as part of studying a subject such as Community Studies or Workplace Practices, or you can ask for the learning to count directly towards the SACE.

Can community learning be counted at Stage 2 level?

Yes. Students can count up to 90 credits of community learning at Stage 1 and/or Stage 2; however, recognition of community learning is not granted against the requirement for 60 credits at a C– grade or better at Stage 2.

Can I double-count my learning?

No. You may be able to use the same basic information or experience in different ways, but you cannot count the same learning twice. Speak with your SACE coordinator, student counsellor, or the SACE Board about this.

Can I count this learning towards university entrance?

No. As it does not provide a score or grade, it does not contribute to an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR). However, it does count towards completion of the SACE and you can still choose other subjects that provide a score or grade if you want an ATAR.

How will my learning be reported?

On your SACE Board Statement of Results, your learning will be reported under a general heading such as 'Volunteering' or 'Community Development'. In some cases, the name of the actual award/certificate that you completed will also be reported. A satisfactory level of achievement is reported as 'granted'.

Are there ways to have community-developed programs that have not been mentioned considered for recognition?

Yes. The SACE Board is working with a number of community organisations to recognise their awards towards the SACE. The SACE Board will consider community programs that are deemed appropriate for recognition at the senior secondary level of education.

Community organisations are invited to contact the SACE Board if they wish their community award/certificate to be considered for recognition towards the SACE, or if they wish to clarify any aspect of the recognition process.

Do schools know about community learning?

Yes. The SACE Board has contacted all schools with this information.