Global | Stage 1 | Assessment | School Assessment | Moderation (moderated subject)
Please note: this subject is moderated at Stage 1.
SACE coordinators are advised early in the year if their school is required to attend moderation for this subject for the year.
Moderation is a collaborative process where success is dependent on the partnership between teachers, schools and the SACE Board. All parties are working towards the same objective - the best possible outcomes for young people in their learning.
During moderation, samples of student work are reviewed to make sure the assessment decisions (grades) are consistent with the performance standards for that subject.
Stage 1 moderation confirms that students have met the compulsory Stage 1 requirements of the SACE.
At Stage 1 the English and mathematics subjects, and the Personal Learning Plan (PLP), are moderated. For most schools, only the C and D grades are moderated as the C grade represents the minimum essential grade required in these subjects.
The compulsory requirements are important at Stage 1 - their focus is on student literacy and numeracy, and on helping students to plan for their SACE studies and future pathways (via the PLP).
Stage 1 moderation takes place towards the end of the teaching and learning program, before the SACE Board reports students' results.
Following moderation, schools receive feedback either confirming the grades or recommending changes. Teachers apply the moderation feedback in any subsequent assessment tasks and to students' final results. This ensures the results are consistent and fair.
The SACE Board checks that the final results submitted by schools reflect the feedback from moderation, including any necessary adjustments to results.
- Information Sheet - The preparation and packaging of materials for Stage 1 Moderation.doc63KB
- Procedures and Guidelines for Stage 1 Moderators 2017.pdf307KB
- SACE Stage 1 Moderation Overview 2018.docx36KB
- Stage 1 Information and Guidelines 2018.docx83KB
- Stage 1 Moderation and Review Schedule Semester 1, 201879KB
- Stage 1 Moderation Sample Form.doc110KB
- Information Sheet - The preparation and packaging of materials for Stage 1 Moderation.doc