Stage 2 | Subject outline | Version control
Spiritualities, Religion, and Meaning
Accredited in June 2021 for teaching at Stage 2 from 2022. Editorial changes may be made during the implementation process.
Stage 2 Religion Studies will be taught for the last time in 2022.
Stage 2 | Subject outline | Capabilities | Literacy
In this subject, students extend and apply their literacy by, for example:
- understanding and analysing various texts or text types, such as sacred texts, religious art, paintings, friezes, frescoes, sculptures, or iconography
- observing and understanding symbolic language, such as ideograms, art, movement, posture, or gesture
- understanding the relevance of context, purpose, bias, intent or message, inference, use of pause or silence, accuracy, objectivity, and authority
- understanding that cultural and religious literacy involves applying concepts (and using words) particular to religions, such as prayer, pilgrimage, sacraments, adherents, transcendence, diaspora, and sentient
- understanding and appreciating linguistic diversity within and across religious and spiritual traditions, such as social and historical context, language, dialect, audience, genre, and nuances of translations
- graphically recording and/or communicating spatial relationships of sacred spaces, including mapping, symbols, photographs, plans and illustrations
- analysing primary and secondary sources
- acknowledging sources appropriately.