Stage 2 | Subject outline | Version control
Stage 2 | Subject outline | Content | Option themes
Option themes allow students to further develop their understanding of politics, power, and decision-making in specific areas of politics. The descriptions that follow the outline of possible option themes are not intended to be prescriptive. Teachers should use their knowledge and resources to develop suitable option themes that build on students’ interests. Teachers should guide students to consider social characteristics that may be central to the option themes, such as gender, race, ethnicity, religion, and socio‑economic and professional status.
In consultation with students, teachers select any two of the following option themes.
- Option theme 1: The United States and the world: managing challenges
- Option theme 2: A world in existential crisis
- Option theme 3: Mediatisation of politics
- Option theme 4: Politics of the minority: making Aboriginal voices heard
- Option theme 5: The Chinese century: emergence of a new hegemon.