The SACE Board recognises the need for Aboriginal perspectives to be represented in learning through SACE subjects.
Each SACE subject outline contains a statement encouraging teachers to include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge, cultures, and perspectives in their teaching and learning program.
The statement says:
'In partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and schools and school sectors, the SACE Board of South Australia supports the development of high-quality learning and assessment design that respects the diverse knowledge, cultures, and perspectives of Indigenous Australians.
'The SACE Board encourages teachers to include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge and perspectives in the design, delivery, and assessment of teaching and learning programs by:
- providing opportunities in SACE subjects for students to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures, and contemporary experiences
- recognising and respecting the significant contribution of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to Australian society
- drawing students' attention to the value of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge and perspectives from the past and the present
- promoting the use of culturally appropriate protocols when engaging with and learning from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities.'
Personal Learning Plan
In this subject and throughout the SACE, students work with teachers, families and supporters to identify and assess their progress in reaching their goals.
- Personal Learning Plan minisite
The Research Project is one of many subjects in the SACE through which Aboriginal students can research different aspects of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge, cultures, and practices.
- Research Project minisite
This opportunity is supported by a set of culturally appropriate protocols, which are also included in the SACE Board's Ethical Conduct of Research Policy.
- Ethical Conduct of Research Policy [DOC 532KB]
- Ethical Research — Guidelines for Students [DOC 81KB]
- Topics with a focus on Aboriginal knowledge, cultures, and perspectives [DOC 184KB] *
* This document offers suggestions to students who would like their Research Project to have an Aboriginal focus.